Monday, September 12, 2005

Passerby at Quidam

Caught the much hyped Quidam by Cirque du Soleil on Sunday, thanks to the entreaties by my more artophile friend XY. It sounded promising enough from her brief summary over the phone--she said it was more than just a circus and there was a sad storyline involved. Stingy me was thus convinced to part with $71 bucks for a seat.

The carnival-like atmosphere of the Cirque du Soleil grounds complete with bright blue and yellow tents seemed to promise a fun evening out. There were real concession stands hawking popcorn, ice-cream, coke, and the like too. All the trappings of a real fun time at the circus. We eventually battled our way to the front of the snack queue to get a box of hard-won popcorn. Then dashed to the main tent just on time.

I'd never been to a Cirque du Soleil show before, or a circus either. But inside wasn't what I imagined a circus to be. It was real dark. There was eerie sounding music playing in the background.

From the review of the show I read in the papers the day before, I knew the storyline was about a little girl who put on a bowler hat given to her by a stranger, then escapes to a fantasy wonderland. This I could figure out at the beginning of the show. What I didn't get was what happened after she was in the fantasy wonderland. All I could tell was there were lots of weird people dancing around in bio-hazard suits, coupled with various acrobatic performances involving hula hoops, silk curtains, trapeze-like things. The little girl's parents appeared in the fantasy world now and then, inexplicably. I totally don't get it. In the end, it was to me just a fairly impressive show of acrobatics. The storyline was totally lost on me.

I suspect I'm a philistine, because all the people who were there with me enjoyed the show immensely, as can be seen from XY's blog. *Sob* Realising you're a philistine can be hard to deal with.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home